
I remember exactly where I was when the plane crashed into the towers, pentagon and so forth! I remember the sick feeling in my stomach of what had just happened.
Our country was forever changed. It is nice to reflect and give respect to those that have sacrificed willingly and those that didn't know they were going to lose their lives that day!
Today, I've been thinking about freedom and how much we take it for granted. I would like to express my gratitude for all those in the past, present and future who work and fight for even our simple daily freedoms.
I was teaching sixth graders and we had a discussion about this day and what happened eight years ago. They were 2 to 4 years old so they don't remember themselves. I was very impressed with their listening ear as I talked and they brought up good questions about our freedoms and why people would do that. I really wanted them to know what those people did was wrong and also for them to remember that american lives were lost that day. We also talked about our freedoms. I wanted them to be thankful for them and be aware that others in the world do not have a lot of freedoms we enjoy. I was proud of their candor and respect they brought to the discussion today! Eleven year olds can surprise ya!
I know so many don't have these freedoms we enjoy everyday throughout the world. I am proud to be a citizen of this country and hope to always be able to live freely!
-J
1 comment:
Thanks for this post, Jen! Again, we think alike. I had in mind today to post about Sept 11...and I agree that kids can show more insight than you would think!
Post a Comment